Crispy Grated Potatoes – Vegan & Gluten-Free Recipe


I absolutely love potatoes.
They are incredibly versatile, healthy, delicious, and fast to cook. They can be fried, gratinated, boiled, roasted, made soup, puree,
If I would be asked what I would take on a deserted island, I would definitely say "potatoes, a toothbrush, and water."  Tones of water. But 10 potatoes might do if I have something else to eat until the next harvest.
I am a farmer, you know. 
If Matt Damon can grow potatoes on Mars, I can grow potatoes on an island. It’s easy. If you have water.
I love Matt Damon's acting skills. The roles he plays are great. Well done, Matt! Well done for growing potatoes on Mars.
Have you learned that from me?

Let’s get back to reality and realistic.
This recipe was also published on While I breathe, I hope and my Romanian recipe blog.
For years I thought that I invented it as I cook it since I was a child.
And back then there were no internet or recipe books in my family. I was born during a communist regime, you see.

You need a grater and a frying pan. It is essential for the frying pan to be anti-adherent, but most are, right?

Preparation time: 15 minutes – depending on your cooking skills
Degree of difficulty: low – as above
Serves: 2 people

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 medium-sized red potatoes. White could do too. I cannot stand sweet potatoes. Are they meant to be sweet? Why? They taste like the beets we use to give to the pigs. Bleah!
  • 3 + 2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (I use olive oil)
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of black pepper
  • a pinch of dried garlic                                                              

Optional but very recommended:
  • paprika/ chili (I always add it because I like spicy)
  • grated cheese – If you are not vegan – You'll add this at the very end, when the potatoes are on the plate, still hot.

 Method of Preparation:
  • Coarsely grate (on the large holes of a box grater) the potatoes and season. - You don't need to peel them, but in Romania, is unthinkable to not peel the potatoes. We give the skin to the pigs. :D -
  • Heat half the fat in a small, heavy-based frying pan until sizzling, and then add the grated potato, allow to cook for a couple of minutes (until golden)
  • Turn it over using a big plate or a lid. 
  • Add the rest of the oil to the pan and, slide the potato cake (yes, it will look like a frittata or a cake) back into the pan the other way up. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, then serve hot with pickles (Romanian style) or any salad.

This could be served with fried eggs, any type of meat or fish or plain simple.

So, so delicious. 

It warms you up from the inside. Like a good memory.

You need to try it!

No comments

If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action.
Like, comment and share the love.

As you might know - or have guessed due to the book covers on the side - I am an indie author in need of support.
Visit and follow me on social networks and blogs.
I am everywhere because I work night and day to promote my work and fulfil my dream.

Give and it shall be given to you.

May the universe be always on your side.